What are Segments in Klaviyo?
Segments are one of the most powerful tools in Klaviyo to help you build groupings of users that match certain criteria or “rules.” Rules can be based on users’ profile properties, behaviors, or other data or metrics that Klaviyo has access to. Users can belong to or exit Segments as their behaviors or properties change as defined by the Segment’s ruleset and are continuously updated.
You can create unlimited Segments in Klaviyo and you can use Segments to both trigger Flows, or to be used in Campaigns to better tailor marketing messages to the right set of subscribers.
What’s the difference between a Segment and a List in Klaviyo?
The biggest difference between a Segment and a List is that a Segment can only have users that match the Segment’s rules. Users can only be added to a Segment via the Segment’s rules, and cannot be added manually or imported as users in a Segment have to match the defined rules. Lists, on the other hand, are groups of users who subscribe via a Klaviyo Form, manually added or imported in Klaviyo, or via an API from a third party source.
How to Create a Segment in Klaviyo
To create a Segment in Klaviyo, navigate to “Lists & Segments” and click on the “Create List / Segment” button.
From the next window, click on “Segment”.
Name your Segment in the “Name” field and click on the “Select a condition” drop-down menu to start setting the Segment rules.
In the drop-down menu, you will see different options from which you can choose and combine to create your Segment.
- What someone has done (or not done)
- These are behavioral rules. This ruleset contains all the events you have in your “Metrics” section. You can see Klaviyo’s default events like “Opened Email”, “Clicked Email”, “Unsubscribed” and more. These are events that Klaviyo tracks and stores for every subscriber you have on your list. You can also see the events that are coming through your integrations from your e-commerce platform, custom APIs and all other apps integrated with your Klaviyo Account.
- Properties about someone
- Here you have the options to segment people based on the properties they have in their profile. Every information about a profile (Email, Name, Address, Source, Date of Creation, etc.) is a property for that profile. You can select from Klaviyo’s Properties, which are the default properties in Klaviyo (City, Country, Created, First Active, etc.) or by Custom Properties. Note that Custom Properties can be assigned manually on import or set in the Signup Form to be set for each profile that opt-in through that Form (e.g. Source).
- If someone is or is not within the EU (GDPR)
- Here you can include or exclude people from the European Union. This rule is useful only if you have people in your list that are from the European Union and they might not accept marketing from you.
- Someone’s proximity to a location
- Here you can group people based on proximity to a certain location. This is a very useful rule if you have multiple physical stores or you’re organizing an event and you want to invite only people that are within a certain range from the location.
- If someone is in or not in a list
- Here you can include or exclude people that are in a specific list. If you use this rule in combination with other rules to create your Segment, you can include a certain list and only people who are in that list will be eligible to be in the Segment, or you can exclude a list which will prohibit anyone who’s in that list from joining the Segment.
- If someone is or is not suppressed
- Because even when people are suppressed they are not deleted from your Klaviyo Account, if you don’t specify, Klaviyo will include these people in your Segments. Note that Klaviyo won’t send emails to suppressed profiles even if they are in a certain Segment or List.
- Predictive analytics about someone
- Based on properties you have for the profiles in your list, their behavior, and the events from your integrations, Klaviyo will try to guess if someone should be in a Segment or not. For example, let’s say you want to create a Gender Segment but you don’t have the Gender Property set for all profiles. Based on people’s purchases, products they’ve viewed and other actions they’ve taken, Klaviyo will try to guess if the profile is Male or Female. This is not a 100% reliable option and it very much depends on people’s behavior.
Combining rules to create powerful Segments
You can combine all rules or use one rule multiple times to create your Segments. There are 2 possible connections between the rules that you can use to combine them. Those are the “AND” & “OR” statements.
- “AND” – When you use the “AND” statement it means that both rules must be true.
- Example: Opened Email AND Placed Order – Person must have opened an email and placed order to join this Segment.
- “OR” – When you use the “OR” statement it means at least one of the rules must be true.
- Example: Opened Email OR Placed Order – If a person has either opened email or placed order (or both), he will join this Segment.
After you set all the rules for your Segment, click on the “Create Segment” button.
You can see your new Segment in the “Lists & Segments” section.
Different Segments can have different values. You can create Segments for analytical purposes, to trigger Flows, or used to send targeted Campaigns.